Tuesday 17 August 2010

Hell comes to Frogtown

Now, it doesn't take much to figure out, this is not the kind of motion picture destined for Oscar glory.
If I were to be honest, I only happened upon it a week or two ago.
I'm so glad I did.

Starring 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper, fresh from his triumphant turn in They Live, Rowdy plays Sam Hell, one of few potent men left in the USA, following a nuclear war that decimated much of the world and at the same time, mutated...Frogs? Yeah, Frogs are now Frog men (the frog masks are brilliant) and live in Frogtown. No real explanation on that one, sorry.

Any who, Sam Hell is captured by the lady run US government and made to agree to shag the ovulating women of the world, so as to re-populate...poor old Sam. There is a catch though, Hell has to wear a chastity belt (wouldn't want him wasting all those mini-Sams in there) that also acts as a bomb and will explode if he gets too far away from his 'handler'. So, Hell and two chicks have to go rescue some potentially receptive women from Frogtown, as they were captured and are all pacifists. Women! Eh!

Um, there's a sequel...or three.

The second (Return to Frogtown) has Rowdy replaced, but there is light at the end of the tunnel...Lou Ferrigno's in it, TV's Hulk!!!!!  

I wouldn't recommend the follow ups and honestly, I don't know how a studio allowed it in the first place.

Hell comes to Frogtown can barely be described as a b-movie, but judging by the posters for the sequels,  at least it's not a c-movie.

Silly, random, odd, bizarre and strangely enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I vaguely recall this being in the video stores in the 80s. Couldn't ever manage to make myself rent it though!!

    They Live!, however, I agree is truly triumphant!!!

    ReplyDelete